In a society where nutritional evidence seems to change each month, one of the constant “health” foods that experts seem to agree on is fish.
Packing a healthful punch, fish contains vital nutrients with numerous health benefits. For example, it is high in protein, rich in vitamin D and iron, and has large amount of “good” fats called omega-3 fatty acids. The fatty acids in fish alone are incredibly beneficial to our body and brain.
According to the mayoclinic.org website, adults should eat at least two servings of omega-3 rich fish a week. A serving size of fish is 3.5 ounces, or equivalent to the size of a full deck of cards.
Here are more health benefits of consuming the recommended amount of fish weekly:
- Your risk of heart attack and stroke is decreased since fish is a food that helps maintain a healthy heart. Healthy fat from the omega-3s helps to keep your heart in tip-top shape.
- For pregnant and nursing mothers, the docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) found in fish is partly responsible for developing the brain and eyes of unborn and newborn babies. Pregnant women should consult with their doctor to learn about the appropriate amounts and types of fish to eat.
- Fish helps to fight brain deterioration from aging. People who consume fish have been found to have a slower rate of cognitive decline. The grey matter in our brain contains the neurons that process information and store memories. Research has shown that people who eat fish have more grey matter in the brain.
- Fish can improve your happiness and help people avoid depression. It has been reported that people who eat fish are less likely to develop depression, specifically from the omega-3s found in fish. For those taking anti-depressant medication, fish consumption can increase the effectiveness of the medication.
- We are most commonly deficient in vitamin D, especially because of lack of sun exposure. A single 4-ounce serving of cooked salmon contains almost the entire recommended daily intake of vitamin D. Fish is an excellent way of getting your daily amount of vitamin D.
If you are in Virginia Beach, VA and want the opportunity to catch your dinner for the evening, we provide amazing chartered fishing excursions. We will help you catch your fish as well as give you advice on how to prepare it for a delicious and healthy meal.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.